The California Association of REALTORS® are embarking on an historic effort to increase homeownership opportunities, one that we know REALTORS® can feel good about supporting. C.A.R. is going to qualify an initiative for the November 2018 ballot which will allow senior homeowners (55 years of age and older) to keep all or most of their Proposition 13 property tax savings when they move. We’ve mailed you a petition and we need your signature and that of four more voters registered in your county.
This measure is important because seniors, who are often on a fixed income, fear they will not be able to afford a big property tax increase if they sell their existing home and buy another one, discouraging them from ever moving. As a result of this “moving penalty” almost three-quarters of homeowners 55 and older haven’t moved since 2000.
“Unlock homes. Help seniors and families.”
C.A.R.’s portability initiative will allow senior homeowners to transfer their property tax base from their current residence to a replacement residence located anywhere in California. The measure, if approved by voters, will let thousands of seniors, currently “locked into” their homes by low property tax rates purchase a home that will better suit their needs freeing up housing inventory for young families seeking to buy a home. According to the California Legislative Analyst’s Office, tens of thousands additional homeownership opportunities will occur annually.
Every California REALTOR® has been mailed a copy of the petition. The best way to help promote the initiative right now is to sign it, collect 4 additional signatures from family, friends, and clients, and return the petition. Anyone who signs the petition must be a registered voter and reside in the same county as the other signers on that petition. More petitions are available at your local association of REALTORS® office and REALTORS® are encouraged to gather signatures from their clients and while walking their farms.
Access instructions for signature gathering and a helpful script and walking piece HERE.
Here are the instructions and rules for signature gathering:
REALTORS®, affiliates or anyone who volunteers can circulate the petition as long as they are aware of and follow the following state laws. To knowingly fail to do so, is a misdemeanor under state law. Please be sure to read these rules carefully before gathering signatures:
- THE PETITIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED INTACT. DO NOT TEAR THE SIGNATURE PAGE OFF THE REST OF THE PETITION.
- Anyone circulating the petition must be at least 18 years old.
- If a petition circulator is a registered voter, he or she may sign the petition he or she is circulating.
- All signatures on each petition section must be from voters within the same county.
- Only persons who are registered, qualified voters at the time of signing are entitled to sign the petition.
- A person can only sign a petition that is being circulated in his or her county of registration.
- Each signer must personally place on the petition his or her signature, printed name, residence address (or physical description of the location if there is no street address), and the name of the incorporated city or unincorporated community.
- Each signer may sign an initiative petition only once. If they have signed another petition in support of the same initiative, they should not sign again.
- The signatures on the petition may not be used for any purpose other than qualifying the initiative for the ballot. However, you may ask petition signers whether they would like to provide their contact information on a separate form so they can receive more information regarding the initiative.
- Petition circulators must:
- Write the county in which they are circulating the petition on the first page and the signature page.
- Witness each person as he or she signs the petition.
- Fill in and sign the “Declaration of Circulator” on each copy of the petition that they have circulated. Please make sure all blank fields in this section are completed.
Getting Signed Petitions Back to C.A.R.
You can mail all completed petitions to:
California Association of REALTORS®
P.O. Box 1199
Sacramento, CA 95812-9981
THE PETITIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED INTACT. DO NOT TEAR THE SIGNATURE PAGE OFF THE REST OF THE PETITION.
C.A.R. needs time to process and verify signatures. Please send your signed petition back to C.A.R. by December 31, 2017.